- The script is…
- What is a scripting language?
- What tasks can be performed using scripts?
- Advantages of scripts
- Possible disadvantages
- How to start working and writing scripts?
Many people are dreaming about a career change today, and the IT sphere is one of the very popular options, for example, learning languages and programming processes. Usually, the path to mastering the industry begins with studying terminology and trying to understand major sphere aspects themselves. One of the widely used elements in programming is scripts, but not all beginners fully understand what it is.
IT rookies often copy other people’s scripts, not understanding their structure and features. Therefore, such specialists can’t write them on their own. In this article, we help to find answers to many questions the beginners may have, such as what is a script, how to write it correctly, and what is required to do so.
The script is…
Under the concept of “script”, one should understand a certain sequence of actions denoted using special scripting language elements. This tool is considered a small program that can be embedded in the code of the base software to automate the execution of specific tasks.
Usually, they lack a visual interface – a special code, launched by the specialist’s command, is processed and then performs the assigned actions. When all tasks have been completed, the code ends. Usually, such programs are necessary to optimize repeated actions.
Originally, such a tool was used as a set of commands for old PCs. With their help, they described a specific task that the operating system should perform. But today, the tool’s application areas have greatly expanded, as it is now not just command shells for modern OS. Scripts are used almost everywhere: from websites to large systems and office documentation.
You can create one yourself in almost all programming languages. But there are also scripting languages that are more suitable to perform this task.
What is a scripting language?
Using any non-scripting programming language to write code can be accompanied by complexity and low efficiency. Therefore, the best option is to use specialized tools that can differ in such parameters:
- Languages are interpreted, not compiled;
- Typing of the tool is usually dynamic – the type of variable is assigned during the process, it is set during creation;
- Languages do not require a long environment setup – script documents are easily launched using a browser or command line.
There are also specialized languages for creating scripts that work within a certain large system. AutoCAD has its own scripting, which is used for software commands. A similar situation is with Matlab – the tool is used to prepare scripts to solve various complex mathematical problems.
Also, languages running within the OS, such as Bash, Shell, and PowerShell, are actively used today. Such tools work inside their operating systems; you can write with their help in the console or create separate documents.
What tasks can be performed using scripts?
It is necessary to dwell on what tasks can be performed with the help of scripts to figure out how to work with them. You can entrust scripts with the following types of tasks:
- Performing simple routine actions, automating processes. For example, in text content, replace quotes of one format with another or take certain information from the database and process information.
- Performing user actions on a website. It’s easier to imagine the front end using scripts because almost all interactive and dynamic actions available to visitors are performed with their help. This means they are automatically launched when a user activates or clicks something. In addition, this tool is responsible for the operation of pop-up windows, auto-correction of date format, and hints appearance when entering search queries.
- Loading content. Scripts allow you to quickly load information on the site, for example, in the social network feed. If this tool was not used, users would have to manually follow the links or wait for the site to pull up all the data.
- Implementation of dynamic design elements. This tool is used to decorate web resources, as they contribute to the operation of various interactive design elements. When users enter incorrect information on some sites, a pop-up window starts to “shake.” This process is launched thanks to a script.
In addition, scripts are quite actively used in Internet marketing. They allow marketers to launch a variety of functions and options, for instance, beautiful transitions between applications, online advertising in the form of animated games, and much more.
Advantages of scripts
Today scripts are actively used in many areas, as this tool has many strengths. Key advantages include:
- high speed of writing;
- independence from the software product;
- ability to quickly automate various actions and tasks.
Thanks to the use of such a tool, professionals in different industries significantly increase the efficiency of business processes and reduce the impact of the human factor on the final result.
Before studying how to write a script, many rookie programmers consider the strengths and weaknesses of such a tool. Their disadvantages include:
- Relatively low speed of performing the set task while optimizing the tool can lead to the loss of important capabilities and options;
- Scripts use a significant amount of space on your computer;
- There is a risk of worsening the usability of a website or software;
- The risk of blocking a web page in case of errors.
Today, the disadvantages of using scripts in some situations seriously outweigh the advantages. Therefore, before using such a tool, it is important to estimate all the “pros” and “cons.”
How to start working and writing scripts?
Professionals can learn the language sparingly to create simple and light scripts. To perform such a task, sometimes basic knowledge is enough. But if a programmer plans to work with the tool professionally, they will need to undergo specialized training. The FrontEnd course by DevEducation will be the perfect option.
Professionals need to know not only how to run a script but also to study the syntax in detail, the principle of the programming language, script-building patterns, and much more. Learning this on your own is very difficult, so the best solution is to get help from the specialists in the DevEducation course.